Thursday, March 14, 2013

DC Stone's Feral Craving


I'm so excited to have DC Stone on my blog today, to talk about her Paranormal Romance, Feral Craving, Book One of the Justice Demon series. After DC's interview, I'll meet with a character from her novel!

Welcome DC! Can you tell me a bit about yourself?
Well, outside of writing, the full time job and kids keep me busy. When I’m not diving into the world of romance, I’m investigating financial crimes, focusing specifically on internal measures. Yes, you caught it, I’m a corporate version of Internal Affairs. I served the United States Air Force for eight years, and learned most of what I needed investigating crimes there. It’s come in a little handy, in BOTH my jobs. ;)


Oh wow, that sounds really cool! And thank you so much for your service! So, when did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?
Oh boy, I first started writing about four years ago this March. I fell into a group online (not fan-fiction, but close). Focusing full time on my book, which coincidentally this book was the first novel I ever wrote, it took me about eight months to finally feel as if it were ready for submission. Even then, I think I could have waited. I’ve heard many feel this way though, so I went ahead, quashed the internal critique, and hit send. 
Where do you get your ideas? 
I get my ideas based off of thoughts that come to me, or crimes I’ve read about. It’s no secret what I do, and within the thriller side of the house for me, driving a story around that crime, or within the paranormal side, developing a story off one small idea, is the most rewarding and challenging aspect of our careers. 
What sparked the idea for your novel? 
I wanted to do something different outside of vampires and werewolves. I wanted to give the readers something they hadn’t seen before. Within that, I remember reading something on the Goddess Themis, and decided to develop that idea I was previously talking about, into this series. There will eventually be four, but Bari’s book starts you from the very beginning. As we go along, the reader will pick up more on exactly what these Demons do, and exactly which side of good and evil they are on.
What are some of your favorite authors/books? 
Pamela Clare. She is phenomenal and such an inspiration. 
Which comes first: The character's story or the idea for the novel? 
The idea. While I outline the plot and unfolding of the story (the idea), the character’s background is built as I go. I may start with something small, but that background builds as I write. A lot of it comes from the character themselves, as they push their way into the story. 
What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published author?
You see all kinds of different advice, and while I’m not a seasoned writer myself, I’ve had a few ask me this question or even call me their mentor. I have to say, it’s a little odd at times seeing that in an email or on a phone call, because I wonder what I’ve done to deserve it, but then again, it’s also something that is humbling.
The best piece of advice I can give a new writer is this: keep writing. Don’t stop just because you’ve received a rejection letter. Don’t put down that laptop just because someone says you write like crap. But keep going. You have to think of writing, and the creativity that comes with it, like a muscle. If you don’t use it, you’ll lose it.

I’ve seen this a few times in my time writing. I’ll go a week or so and haven’t written a word and when I go to pick up the laptop, my writing suffers. I now make a point to at least get a little in each day or every other day, whether it be a chapter in a novel I’m working on, a blog entry, or an interview, like this.
Outside of keeping the writing going, you also need to invest in your mind. I’m not saying spend money, but look for the articles on writing, check out a book at the library on writing, and try to get in to workshops. But inside of that, don’t take any one person’s advice as if it’s the rule. There are no rules in writing—but you do need to know what’s out there. 
If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change? 
I would join a critique group sooner than I did. No new author can learn anything more valuable anywhere else. 
What are you working on now? 
I’m actually working on the thriller side of the house right now. Empire Blue series is about a group of law enforcement officers and their quest to not only solve crimes, but also the interruption they cannot ignore—love. These books are also something that will be new to the market, something that may shock readers. The men are real, raw, and dangerous. I am typing out book 2 and working jointly on book 3 of the series. Once those two are done, the second book in the JC series will be started. 
Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination? 
Oh, I can tell you there are MANY personal experiences in this book. Once you read it, I’d love to see if any of the readers can guess. Make sure to stop by and let me know. 
Will you have a new book coming out soon? 
Yes, although a date hasn’t been set, I have a novelette coming out with Decadent Publishing. It’s part of their 1 Night Stand series, and I’m really excited to become an addition to this. A really great author, Jennifer Probst, also submitted to this series, and it is humbling to become a part of that team. 
That's exciting! Congrats! Now, let's move on to some fun questions: Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point? 
Oh, it drives me nuts if I don’t make the bed. I think that’s the military ingrained in me, but one thing you will NOT see in my home is hospital corners. Sorry, Drill Sergeant Espinoza, you tried. 
Be honest, how often do you wash your hair? 
Everyday. 
Do you get road rage? What pisses you off the most about other drivers? 
Ugh, I have to admit I do, but I it’s so rare, which is interesting because I live just outside of New York City, and the drivers around here are RUTHLESS. 
Which of your characters would you like to meet in person and why?
You know, this is my seventh book I’ve written, the third to be published, and I gotta say, I’d love to meet Bari. He was my first true character love and I don’t think you ever get over that. 
Hahaha, I know how that goes. Now, let's move onto the Character Interview. I' adore meeting characters from books, and DC has graciously scheduled some time for me to meet with a devastatingly handsome guy from Feral Craving!
What is your name?

*Arches brow and crosses arms* And see, here DC told me you’d be prepared. *Smirks* Damn woman, first she goes and tells a very private story and now she doesn’t even give you a heads up. *Leans forward* The name is Bari. Bari Daxter. And no, don’t say it like James Bond. I’m much tougher. 
(I can see that he's much tougher ... not that I'll tell him that.) Is there a nickname you’re known by? Do you prefer it? 
*chuckles deep* Hell, let’s see … Dick, asshole, jerk, fucker, fuck-head, Sarge, bro … I could go on if you like … 
*Waves a hand* Uh, no, hahaha. I've got you. So, do you have any scars, tattoos, piercings? What do they mean to you? 
*smirks* I have a few tats, although they only come out when he comes to visit. You wanna piss me off enough to find out? 
*Shakes head* No, no, that's okay. (I search my list of questions for something safe.) Ah, who are your parents?
*glares* Next question … 
With whom do you live? How do you feel about that person / people?
You know *rubs back of his neck* you’re almost as personal as DC. Because I promised to play nice, I’ll answer. But I swear, if you start asking about my favorite position, we’re gonna have issues.

I currently live with Mackenzie, and yes, she’s my fucking rock. And as much of a pain in the ass she was recently, I love her. I’d give my life, my soul, the last scrape of air I could find to her—to make her happy. Don’t even ask what I’d do if she was in danger. *eyes flash* I don’t think you would want to find out. 
*shakes head emphatically* No, no. I'm good. Umm, do you have any pets? 
*Grins* Of course, his name is Tyler. 
What is currently your biggest responsibility or commitment? 
*Lets out a deep breath* Well hell, you really do know how to push the deep questions don’t you? *glances up to the ceiling* Let’s see, and pardon me if I blow through all of this faster than you can keep up, but I’m still learning how it all works myself.

Apparently I’m here to keep the world level in terms of good and evil existing. *Twists lips* Hmmm, yeah I think that about sums it up. 
Who is your biggest rival or enemy? 
*Narrows eyes* You remember that parent question? *waits* 
Oookay ... moving on. What is your greatest talent? 
*slow grin* I think Mackenzie might help you with that answer.
Have you undergone any dramatic physical transformations in your life?
*chokes on drink* Have you read the fucking book? 
*coughs* It's on my to-be-read list. What? I don't get to read as much as I used to. Let's just do one more question, 'kay? How do you feel, generally, about the opposite sex?
*gives a slow, leisurely glance along the length of her body* I don’t know, how do you feel about sex?
Oh, I'm absolutely a fan of se-
Annnnd ... that's all I'm listing here, folks! I'll let you fill in how I responded. :)

A big thank you to DC Stone and Bari for meeting with me today! Check out the links below to check out more on DC!

www.authordcstone.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/authordcstone
Twitter: @DCStoneauthor

Find Feral Craving at Evernight Pubslishing!

3 comments:

  1. I call you mentor and phenomal writer! Folks if you haven't checked out her work you're really missing out. Add D.C. Ston to your TBR list and you won't be sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had fun! Thanks for having us by. Bari is STILL talking about you. *wiggles brows* Think you made quite the impression. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, DC!
      I had a blast! Thanks so much for stopping by and introducing me to the delectable Bari. :o)

      Delete