Friday, November 16, 2012

The war inside my head

Life gets crazy, and when it does there's added pressure because I'm an author. It seems whenever I don't have time (or energy, sometimes) to write, the characters in my head start to throw fits. Now, sometimes - and depending on the character - they stomp their foot and cross their arms before turning away with their nose up in the air and give me the cold shoulder, but sometimes ... sometimes they just get LOUD.

Over the past few weeks, I've already had four Immortal Guardians fighting over whose story I should work on, but I haven't been able to put in the time to get any of their stories done. Granted, I am probably 1/3 of the way done with one of the books I'm currently writing, but I just can't keep up with their demands. They are certainly keeping me busy with all the scenes they're showing me though....

In addition to those four Guardians wanting me to focus all my attention on them, I now have NEW ideas creeping in and poking at my brain  with a broom stick (because they just don't have room to squeeze past the Guardians). My husband often jokes (or maybe not?) that I'm crazy because I have so many people inside my head.

I'm starting to believe he's right.

I wish I could stay at home and be a full-time author so that maybe someday I could get these ideas down on paper, and give these characters who have chosen me to be their storyteller the time and credit they deserve. I've already negleted some of the projects I had started nearly a year ago, but every once in a while they get a good poke in with that broom stick.

/sigh. Time to get back to work. Maybe I can get a few words in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment