Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pitching

On the heel of my last post, I figured I'd talk about my pitch at the conference. I originally intended on pitching my first Immortal Guardians book, Dark Seduction, but after a few suggestions from other people, decided to pitch the second one - and yes, I'm about to finally tell you the title - Seduction Ignited.

Let's just say, I learned a lesson.

If your first novel in a series hasn't been published, then that is really the only one you should be pitching.

The editor that I pitched to yesterday stopped me about a minute into my pitch (embaaarrrraaasssssiiiinnng), and told me to pitch the first one. So, I stopped, switched the focus of my mind, and pitched Dark Seduction. I'm still trying to decide if maybe this was a blessing in disguise, because normally, if I'd just pitched the first one in the series, then she likely wouldn't have known about the second.

Why is this important you ask?

Well, you see, because she was at least aware that a 2nd one existed (and it came up that there are several more on the way), she asked for partials on BOTH novels! Now, I'm not saying that it will go anywhere. It's hard to assume anything when there is a 95% rejection rate, but I can say that I'm excited that she was interested not only my novel(s), but the series.

I can only hope, at this point, that she enjoys my writing style and loves the Immortal Guardians every bit as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment